Converging broadcast and user generated content for interactive ultra-high definition services.
The three year COGNITUS project will bring together experts in video broadcasting, processing and analytics, with the aim of enhancing conventional ultra high definition (UHD) broadcasts by combining it with quality user generated content (UGC).
The project will begin with a thorough study of the technologies available for UHD content creation and consumption, with emphasis on how these can best function in a media landscape increasingly dominated by social networking. Since content creators and consumers are increasingly one and the same, it makes sense to engage audiences prior to broadcast. Therefore, there will be a particular focus on potential social networking schemes to involve users in broadcast event planning.
The project will demonstrate the viability of its aims through two different use cases drawn from real events, such as large sporting events or concerts, and will test these through use case demonstrators. Both will provide examples of the fascinating and potentially unlimited new services that could be unleashed by interweaving UHD broadcast technology with interactive UGC.
The end goal of COGNITUS is to deliver compelling evidence for the validity, effectiveness and innovative power of user-involved UHD content creation. To do so, the project needs to demonstrate the significant role that user-involved UHD content creation can play in creating an immersive and interactive broadcast experience.
More specifically, the project aims to:
- Develop technologies that support the generation of interactive UHD media
- Harvest the full potential of both professional HD content and UGC
- Test the viability of combining user generated content into broadcasts for interactive UHD experiences at large scale events
- Consider methods to incentivise users to share their content with broadcasters
- Enable the production of UHD content from varying qualities of source media
- Enable user interaction in broadcast event planning
- Develop a system of quality metrics for measuring the user experience.